Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
What are examples of mental and emotional health?
What are some examples of emotional health?
- Curiosity. Being curious about your own mind is one way to start actively engaging with your own emotional health. …
- Sharing feelings appropriately. Having someone to confide in can have massive benefits to your emotional health. …
- Noticing and facing emotions when they arise.
Why is mental and emotional health important?
Why is emotional health important? Emotional and mental health is important because it’s a vital part of your life and impacts your thoughts, behaviors and emotions. Being healthy emotionally can promote productivity and effectiveness in activities like work, school or caregiving.
What is difference between mental and emotional?
Thinking versus expressing
A good way to think about mental and emotional health is like a tag team. Mental health refers to your ability to process information. Emotional health, on the other hand, refers to your ability to express feelings which are based upon the information you have processed.
How do you define emotional health?
Emotional health is about how we think and feel. It is about our sense of wellbeing, our ability to cope with life events and how we acknowledge our own emotions as well as those of others. It doesn’t mean being happy all of the time.
What are the 4 types of mental health?
Some of the main groups of mental disorders are:
- mood disorders (such as depression or bipolar disorder)
- anxiety disorders.
- personality disorders.
- psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia)
- eating disorders.
- trauma-related disorders (such as post-traumatic stress disorder)
- substance abuse disorders.
What is good mental health?
Good mental health is characterised by a person’s ability to fulfil a number of key functions and activities, including: the ability to learn. the ability to feel, express and manage a range of positive and negative emotions. the ability to form and maintain good relationships with others.
What is mental health according to who?
The World Health Organization (WHO) conceptualizes mental health as a “state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community”.
How do you maintain mental health?
Maintaining mental health and wellbeing
- spend time with friends, loved ones and people you trust.
- talk about or express your feelings regularly.
- reduce alcohol consumption.
- avoid illicit drug use.
- keep active and eat well.
- develop new skills and challenge your capabilities.
- relax and enjoy your hobbies.
- set realistic goals.
What are the causes of mental health?
What causes mental illness?
- Early adverse life experiences, such as trauma or a history of abuse (for example, child abuse, sexual assault, witnessing violence, etc.)
- Experiences related to other ongoing (chronic) medical conditions, such as cancer or diabetes.
- Biological factors or chemical imbalances in the brain.
What is the difference between mental health and mental wellbeing?
Mental health is a positive concept related to the social and emotional wellbeing of individuals and communities. Having good mental health, or being mentally healthy, is more than just the absence of illness, rather it’s a state of overall wellbeing.
How can I improve my mental and emotional health?
How to look after your mental health
- Talk about your feelings. Talking about your feelings can help you stay in good mental health and deal with times when you feel troubled. …
- Keep active. …
- Eat well. …
- Drink sensibly. …
- Keep in touch. …
- Ask for help. …
- Take a break. …
- Do something you’re good at.
What is the difference between mental health and emotional wellbeing?
The state of your mental health reflects how well your mind processes information and experiences. On the other hand, your emotional health revolves around how you express your emotions based on those experiences. In a sense, your mental and emotional health handle especially different parts of your mind.