The most common mental illnesses in adolescents are anxiety, mood, attention, and behavior disorders. Suicide is the second leading cause of death in young people aged 15–24 years.
What are the most common mental health problems of an adolescent?
Depression, anxiety and behavioural disorders are among the leading causes of illness and disability among adolescents. Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death among 15-19 year-olds.
What are the mental health changes in adolescence?
The psychological changes of adolescence include the appearance of new cognitive structures (e.g., the ability to think abstractly) and introspective ability, the establishment of moral values and norms, and a coming to terms with the developmental tasks that are specific to this period of life, as discussed in the …
What are the common reasons for mental health among adolescent?
Other common sources of stress include:
- Trauma – emotional, sexual, or physical abuse.
- Demands at school or work.
- Unstable or dysfunctional home environment – for example, domestic violence in the home.
- Early loss – such as the loss of a parent or sibling.
- Unsafe living conditions.
- Chronic illness.
What are some concerns about mental health?
This page lists some of the more common mental health issues and mental illnesses.
- Anxiety disorders. …
- Behavioural and emotional disorders in children. …
- Bipolar affective disorder. …
- Depression. …
- Dissociation and dissociative disorders. …
- Eating disorders. …
- Obsessive compulsive disorder. …
What are four common mental health issues for youth?
Some of the most common disorders among children and youth include:
- attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) — also known as attention deficit disorder (ADD)
- depression and other mood disorders.
- eating disorders.
Why is mental health a growing problem?
Rates of mood disorders and suicide-related outcomes have increased significantly among adolescents and young adults, and the rise of social media may be to blame. Mental health problems are on the rise among adolescents and young adults, and social media may be a driver behind the increase.
What are the 4 types of mental health?
Some of the main groups of mental disorders are:
- mood disorders (such as depression or bipolar disorder)
- anxiety disorders.
- personality disorders.
- psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia)
- eating disorders.
- trauma-related disorders (such as post-traumatic stress disorder)
- substance abuse disorders.
What is the biggest mental health problem?
The Top Five Most Common Mental Illnesses
- Depression. Impacting an estimated 300 million people, depression is the most-common mental disorder and generally affects women more often than men. …
- Anxiety. …
- Bipolar Affective Disorder. …
- Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses. …
What are some behavioral and emotional concerns of a child?
Some of the characteristics and behaviors seen in children who have an emotional disturbance include:
- Hyperactivity (short attention span, impulsiveness);
- Aggression or self-injurious behavior (acting out, fighting);
- Withdrawal (not interacting socially with others, excessive fear or anxiety);